Saturday, December 29, 2012

saying goodbye...part 2

 
 
as i have just a few days left
to say goodbye to 2012
i am stealing away moments
to do my closing work.
 
(they are all playing games at the table just aroud the corner from me,
having the greatest time it sounds like!)
 
i call it work
 taking a wide, both eyes open look
at what has passed is,
for me
a genuine form of work
 
soul work
 
yesterday
it was time to forgive myself for the
misses of this year.
the places in my life that didn't measure up to what i had truly wanted to happen.
 
it is easy for me to feel guilty,
(too easy)
overly responsible
 and
 i am sensitive
to disapointing others and myself.
this guilt vein  runs deep
 and i am working to free myself from the limits it places on me.
 
an
"i forgive myself"
 journaling prompt
started the process
and in a fairly vulnerable act of openess
i decided
to share part of the list here
because i know
 i am not the only one
who carries burdens
 that need to be laid down.
 
some lay them at the cross,
some have ceremonies,
and some speak aloud their regrets
me,
i write them out.
 
i thought to mysef before i began the list
that i would have just a few
but they just keep on coming and the page grew longer and longer.
i was suprised and had to trust the process
and not censor myself.
when i was finished
there was a lightness  i could feel and there is room freed up
for the new beginnings that i so desire and seek.
 
here we go...
( i left a few out)
 
i forgive myself for eating gluten, i forgive myself for missed appointments,i forgive mysef for not going to the garden enough, i forgive myself for not always fully trusting H, i forgive myself for using so much hot water with all my baths, i forgive myself for wandering into my way far back past and wishing for a simpler time, i forgive myself for going to Starbucks so often this past fall, i forgive myself for not trusting Owen's love for me enough, i forgive myself for holding back, i forgive myself for the letters that didn't get send and know there is still time, i forgive myself for stopping my gratitude list, i forgive mysef for not visiting little C this year, i forgive myself for the yet to be edited photos on my quickly dying computer, i forgive myself for letting some friendships go, i forgive myself for having to cancel on people at the last minute when i am unexpectedly flaring, i forgive myself for the sharp words i have spoken, especially to myself, i forgive myself for being so tired all the time, i forgive myself for being in the hospital and away from my family, i forgive myself for not taking flowers to my elderly hospital room mate even though i so wanted to, i forgive myself for being sick for so long (this one was particularly hard to write down), i forgive mysef for not always finishing what i start, i forgive myself for not wanting to be an artist, i forgive myself for not exercising.
 i forgive myself.
 
 
so much love to you!
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. For an entire year - that strikes me as a pretty short list, my dear! And nothing wicked on it at all...you'll have to try harder in 2013 ;) I hope you will also forgive *me* for cracking up and laughing at - "i forgive myself for using so much hot water with all my baths"! If that's worth taking to confession, I'm guilty as well! Seriously, though, this sounds like such a healing ritual to have developed for yourself. We guilt-prone people probably disappoint only ourselves nine times for every once we actually sadden others around us...

    ReplyDelete