Tuesday, February 22, 2011

vocation versus job?

February 22, 2011
Dear Suzy,
Welcome back to the land of the living!
I love that you were so moved by the art that you shed tears. That my dear lady is something we share...being moved to tears by the wonder and beatuy that surrounds us...sometimes, I look out in my back yard and hear and see the birds and I cry...because I feel so blessed.

So here at my end, I became a little overwhelmed by the emotional soul searching that was going on. I took a wee break and moved onto other things, like trying to sort out the differences between spirituality and religion, the difference between vocations and jobs and how to keep the peace in a house full of strong personalities...you know, just light easy topics to be working through...ugh...

Here is a little article that I read by a woman, who is an artist whom I admire. I thought I would share it with you because I know that work is something that is on your mind these days and is a topic you have referenced a few times in your blog posts...

A little article on Work

We are what we do, and the more we do it, the more we become it.  By giving a job your time, you are giving it your consciousness.  Eventually it will fill your life with the reality that it presents.  So look beyond the superficial attractions of a particular job or profession.  Consider what it will require you to do on a day-to-day, hour-to-hour, minute-to-minute basis.  See if that is how you want to spend your time.  If it is not, your job will become your prison rather than the vehicle for your dreams.  And a person without dreams is only half alive.

You should think of work as vocation, which comes from the Latin word for calling, which comes from the word for voice.  In those meanings it touches on what work really should be - something that calls to you, that gives voice to who you are and what you want to say in the world.  If you find a vocation, embrace it.  You have found a way to contribute to the world with love.

Find what it is that burns in your heart and do it.  Choose a vocation, not a job, and your life will have meaning and your days will have peace.


Love ya,
Tania
ps...so glad to be blogging again. i have missed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment