Wednesday, November 9, 2011

i am giving myself a gift


i am giving myself a gift
this year.
i am giving myself the gift of time.
of space,
and rest,
and freedom from the life i have known
for a very long time.

it's not really just me giving the gift though.
it is a group effort really.
owen and my family are giving this gift to me.
caring friends and geneous people
are giving this gift to me.
loving families who
are honouring my decision to care for my body
and are understanding in the sad parting we are undertaking
are giving this gift to me.

the doctors with their stern but gentle words
who started the whole decision making process
are giving this gift to me.
sometimes i need their logic and widom
to not hear only with my heart.

our landlords who charge us fair rent are part of giving this gift to me.
my garden and ability to grow food is giving this gift to me.
the kefir and eggs and honey that are shared generously
and make up my diet
are part of this gift giving.

really,
the gift is a colaborative bringing together of caring and kindness.
and i am excited and scared to see what comes.

i am giving myself the gift of a year.
i am taking a full year off
even if i am miraculously or medically better in
3 or 6 months,
i am giving myself a full year.
january 1 2012 - january 2013
is my year of restoration.
and i
will not
allow myself to work full time again
until then.
that sounds set in stone but it has to be
because this is going to be very very tricky.

even beautiful gifts can have sharp edges.

i have a plan.
i love to plan
and the plan will unfold slowly.
the plan involves anyone who wants to come along with me.
you are all welcome in my story.






1 comment:

  1. The wee one and I are very happy for you and are excited to share in this journey with you! Even hard things can be joyful. :)

    ReplyDelete