Tuesday, October 11, 2011

comfort


my family is small
and i married into a family that is
not.so.small.
yesterday for thanksgiving
there were 19 of us
and 7 were missing.

i also do not have sisters.
owen has alot of sisters and this took some getting used to.
what does one do with sisters
when one hasn't had them before.
they seem so friendly and connected
and lovely
but what do you do to join that?
i wondered this often in the beginning.
but slowly,
with lots of time spent together
and conversations
and holiday gatherings
and walks on the beach
and exchanging of ideas and dreams and struggles
i have figured it out.

sisters are very lovely for alot of things.
they can exchange clothes with you
they can bring food to your house potluck style
and this is okay
( i am just learning to embrace the potluck gathering)
they can share laughter and tears with you.
sisters are great fun to facebook and blog with
and sisters supply you with babies when you are done having your own.
sisters fill up your dining room table
 with delight and acceptance
and laughter
and empty cups of tea.

for years,
 i genuinely mourned the fact that i didn't have a sister
and now i am blessed with 5!
how awesome is that!




2 comments:

  1. Ooo! I am so glad to be your sister! They are a marvelous breed, aren't they? I'm so thankful I have so many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygoodness, this is beautiful like a Valentine... I am sniffling a little. And smiling a lot. And I know I gave you an awful lot of hugs yesterday, but I think I need to give you a few more today. Love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete